Welcome to a documented experience of my year as an English Teacher and Community Worker in Java, Indonesia! For the next eleven months, I will be serving with Mennonite Central Committee's Serving and Learning Together program, learning the language, eating the foods, and fully immersing myself in the Indonesian culture.

Looking forward to sharing my experiences with you! Happy reading!

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Life of A Bule

Selamat Malam! (Suh-lah-mhat Mah-lam...Dad, I'm using the Indonesian phrases for you, because you need to learn them! Practice saying it out loud!)

Last time I posted was on Tuesday, and I now find myself  a week beyond that... this week absolutely FLEW by! Though I can totally handle the speed, no need for time to go slower... ;)

Last week, I was invited out twice to see movies with some avid movie-goers. The movie theatre experience here has its similarities to Canada, but it's a much more formal affair here, with attendants at the doors to take your tickets (dressed in black button-down shirts, and long skirts or black pants), and with predesignated seating. The best part about the theatre here is the popcorn. I thought that the popcorn at home couldn't be beat, but somehow, Indonesia has outdone us! They have two kinds, either sweet, or salty, and the sweet is absolutely incredible.

After the second movie, we went for ice cream at J.Co, a really nice cafe. While we were there, some kids came up to us, begging for money. For the first time ever, I did not feel awkward about the situation- at least not right in the moment. I told them "sorry", and continued on with the conversation I was having. When the kids were persistent, I asked my friend if it's better to give them money or not to, and she said not to. As she said it, however, she pulled out her wallet, and handed them some cash, telling me, "It's so that they won't bother you any more." While I watched them scamper away, I began to think about my response to the situation. I think that these scenarios are generally so uncomfortable because we are directly confronted with an issue that we'd rather ignore; it tugs at our conscience in that split second when we have to decide whether or not we are going to hand over money, all the while thinking of our abundantly blessed lives. It is easy to justify how we spend our money when we are not looking the problems that our selfishness creates, directly in the eye. I think the other dilemma that we always face is the idea of how that person is going to spend the money. I used to think, "It's going to drugs and alcohol, and I refuse to feed those habits" (as though this act on my part would cure them of any drug habits they have, assuming that they even DO plan on spending the money on that- and that is a BIG assumption.) Then, just last year, I watched a documentary about some homeless youth in Kitchener. I don't remember a lot of the video, but I remember one of the homeless guys saying,"Do you have any idea how humiliating it is to stand and ask people for money?" He went on to talk about how not only do people not give, but they glare at him, scowl at him, avoid eye contact, pretend they don't hear, comment on his situation as though they know exactly how he got to where he is- and that he doesn't deserve any better. He said, "I just want to be treated with dignity, like any person would want." After watching that, I realized that not giving only makes me look like another cold-hearted, apathetic person, and if I cannot take the time to talk to someone, the least I can do is offer a smile and a few bucks. How that person spends it is their business. I guess what bothered me so much in the J.Co situation is that I let my whole belief slide. I reverted right back to my old "I'll save you through NOT giving" mentality (since, usually, children who beg are not keeping the money for themselves, and I feel like I am condoning the use of children in these situations, by giving money to it). What I completely lost sight of was the HUMAN- the little girl (and two little boys) standing in front of me, asking for a few thousand rupiah.

Since I am unable to follow church sermons right now, I've been using the time to start brushing up on some Bible knowledge (or more accurately, cracking open the New Testament for the first time in my life), and the passage that has been going through my mind since J.Co, is Mark 3:4. Jesus finds a man in the synagogue on the Sabbath, who has a shriveled hand. The Pharisees were watching to see if Jesus would heal on the Sabbath, as doing so would be breaking the law. Jesus responds, "I ask you, which is lawful on the Sabbath: to do good or to do evil, to save a life or to destroy it?" Jesus doesn't care about the structure behind things. He cares about the people, here and now, in every circumstance. I feel exactly like a Pharisee for my response to those kids, because I put the system ahead of the people. I had good intentions, but I missed the point. Without using any words, I told three kids (and those who were watching) that I didn't care about them. I hope that the next time the situation presents itself, I'll be a bit more Jesus-esque in my response. That is something I'd love prayer for.

Nicole came over on Saturday, and we went to a wedding in Kudus. Weddings, I have discovered, are really not my thing. We were asked to sing (and declined the offer), and the camera crew was on us yet again, since we were the only bules (foreigners) at the affair. I was glad I had Nicole there to shed more humour on the situation! On the up side, the trip to Kudus meant that we got to see Jason for a little while, and it was Nicole's first time seeing him since we moved away from Salatiga. Jason's host family is wonderful, and we had a really nice visit prior to the wedding.

On Sunday, we went out for lunch to celebrate at least 5 birthdays in the family- everyone in my host family seems to be born between the end of October, and the middle of November! Nicole joined for that too, and then after a quick shopping trip, we headed to Ungaran to spend a night at Nicole's host family. The evening was a relaxing one, and we ended up just talking until almost 2AM! I haven't had a night like that in a LONG time!

On Monday, I took a bus to Salatiga, and hung out at the MCC office, before taking a bis kecil (a small bus) to Kopeng, where Laura lives. We chatted and watched movies, and it was a perfect way to spend my day off. Around 2:30, I started the trek back to Semarang (and a trek it is- 3 different buses!). Knowing the angkota ("city bus") system in Salatiga was really great, and knowing how to get between cities is awesome (and shockingly easy), but the angkota system in Semarang is one that I may never fully understand. I have ridden the same angkota from the same spot, TO the same spot, three times now, and each time the price has been different. Of course, I have never paid enough. Last week I was able to put my foot down and say "No, just because I'm white doesn't mean I'll pay more", but this week, I think the angkota helper was actually insane, because she got angry when I started to explain that I know how much it is supposed to cost (whilst counting out more money for her, because it's not worth a fight in the street over 20 cents) and cackled (not laughed, cackled) at me as they sped away, KNOWING that she ripped me off. The money is not the issue, but the fact that I'm taken advantage of for being white, really angers me. I guess if anything, it builds empathy and understanding for those who live as a minority in a country or region, and who are treated accordingly. It also makes me increasingly thankful each and every day, for being born into multicultural Canada, where it is not weird for me to be surrounded by people of all different races.

Today was the beginning of the "work" week, and I woke up from a dream about home this morning, that left me feeling like my dreams seem more real than my reality here sometimes. It was a strange sensation!

Share and Care was canceled tonight, which is allowing me the opportunity to get caught up on a bunch of stuff I've been wanting to do, and maybe even relax for a little while before bed.

Thanks for reading!
Love,
Ellery

No comments:

Post a Comment