Welcome to a documented experience of my year as an English Teacher and Community Worker in Java, Indonesia! For the next eleven months, I will be serving with Mennonite Central Committee's Serving and Learning Together program, learning the language, eating the foods, and fully immersing myself in the Indonesian culture.

Looking forward to sharing my experiences with you! Happy reading!

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Salatiga, PPA Party, and a Few Prayer Requests

Selamat Malam, Semua Orang!

I was driving back from PPA today (well, sitting on the back of a motorbike that was driven by Pak Hardy), and I was looking around at the scenery as we sped along. It dawned on me that everything we passed- the chickens hanging off the back of motorbikes, the stalls being set up on the sidewalks for dinner, the crazy traffic, the kids playing in the streets, the smells of garbage burning and food cooking and gasoline and other city smells, the occasional rat scurrying for cover, the "restaurants" on motorbikes, the motorbikes that have been converted into trains, the bicycles that have been converted into mini carnivals (think mall rides for kiddies, attached to a platform with wheels, attached to a bicycle), the men and women who dance at the street corners in traditional Javanese style, the old ladies with massive baskets carried on their backs, the men who set up key-making stalls or license plate stalls or shoe repair stalls at the side of the road, the gasoline sold in water bottles, etc, etc.- has become so commonplace that I no longer think twice about them. There are so many times when I'm on the back of a motorbike or in a vehicle when I think to myself, "oh, I should blog about this!", but then I forget about it within a few seconds. (Such a shame too, because my blog posts are really lacking in length and content... ;) ) It's a bizarre sensation to become so familiar and in a way comfortable, within a context that is SO different from my whole world at home. It's also pretty cool to think that 10 months ago, I didn't know a thing about any part of Indonesia (save for the beaches in Bali), and now I could tell you exactly how to get around most of Semarang, and from Semarang to a whole variety of locations in Central Java, I could tell you how much it would cost you for a variety of different modes of transportation, foods, and services, I could barter for your rides in a becak and your purchases at the market (though not as effectively as others), and I could effectively translate the gist of what people would be saying to you, as well as what you'd like to say to people. Laura and I were talking about how great it feels to now not have to think twice about going out without a native Indonesian. We have become comfortable enough with the culture and the language to navigate it without constant assistance. I never dreamed that that could happen when I first arrived here back in August, and I consider that to be a really substantial accomplishment! It's a really good feeling!

This is the kind of thing I can't find in Canada. This guy will carry this contraption on his shoulders. Sometimes I am amazed by how delicious foods from these kinds of vendors are!
 Last weekend was a really nice relaxing one. We watched a movie at youth on Saturday, and on Sunday, we went out for seafood at lunch, and then to a beautiful little cafe in a quieter neighbourhood for dinner. We could sit outside, and the stars were clear, and the temperature was similar to a summer evening at home. It was a really beautiful evening! I left for Salatiga on Monday morning, with the plan to stay until Wednesday. I had plans to bake enough cookies for the 130 kids at PPA (for two parties, one of which was today, and the other is tomorrow), and after taking over my host family's kitchen every day for a week straight, I just couldn't ask to use it to bake again. (My host mom also assisted me every day, and I think she was more than happy to send me off to Salatiga to embark on this last massive baking endeavour.) The time in Salatiga was AWESOME. It started out with the discovery of not just one, not even two, but three packages awaiting me at the MCC office. One was filled with beanie babies for kids here, and the other two were filled with treats and love directly from home. Going away this year has given me the chance to realize how incredibly blessed I am to have my family and friends at home. It just astounds me.

Laura joined me mid-morning, and we had lunch together, and then began the baking endeavour. We also decided to cook dinner on Monday night, and invited Karen and Major and a woman named Christy (who was formerly living in Winnipeg) to join us. I don't think I've ever felt more successful in the kitchen as I did on Monday afternoon (except for maybe Tuesday night, when I just whipped up a batch of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies while waiting for 70 of the 500 sugar cookies to bake). Together, Laura and I made pepper chicken penne with a basil and oregano cream sauce, homemade garlic bread (using homemade bread that I made), and sugar cookies with fresh whipped cream and strawberries for dessert. It was SO MUCH FUN to prepare the meal in the Jantzi kitchen (the most well-stocked and conveniently organized kitchen in the world), and it was even more fun to have the chance to feel like hosts. We concluded the evening with some episodes of Friends and some popcorn, and went to bed.

I woke up on Tuesday morning to fresh bagels (only at the Jantzi house) with cream cheese. I added to that some of the homemade strawberry jam that Grandma sent me in a package, and it was absolutely amazing. Laura and I had a lazy morning, and then headed up to her school in Kopeng for the afternoon, to play Dutch Blitz with some of the students. It was a lot of fun! We came back down to Salatiga in the evening to conclude our baking endeavour, and enjoyed dinner at the Pancisila (the city centre)- nasi goreng (fried rice), jagung bakar (grilled corn- INCREDIBLE stuff), and es jeruk (freshly squeezed iced orange drink) for rp.13,000 total (about $1.50). Nancy and Riki came back that evening from a three day trip to Jogjakarta, so we enjoyed hearing about their travels, and then watched Mama Mia together before heading to bed.

I found a little(?) friend hiding out under the cooling rack as I was putting away cookies. Laura kindly disposed of him for me.
 I left Salatiga around 9:30 yesterday morning, in order to get home in time to get to PPA Sendangguwo to prepare for today's party. We hung the paper chain, stuffed the candy into the pinata, and went on a long adventure to the store and to a juice stand for fresh mango and guava juice. From PPA Sendangguwo, I headed to PPA Sola Gratia, and found out that it was my last PPA! The kids have a holiday from now until July 11, and I head to Salatiga on July 12. I was glad to be there to see a few of the kids from TK one last time (and of course all the others too). I had a quiet evening at home after PPA ended.

Getting ready for the PPA party, with pinatas and paper chains!

This morning I got some stuff together for the party that was to happen this afternoon. I made icing for the cookies (the kids got to decorate the cookies themselves this time- no more flags for me!), and then straightened my hair as per the request from the staff at PPA. At 1:30, I headed over to do some final prep. When I caught a glimpse of the classroom, I instantly realized how much of a mutual impact the PPA community and I have had on each other this year. The staff had made a big sign at the front of the classroom, saying "Thank-You Ellery, We love you", and balloons were up and the pinata was painted and hung. The whole party was just one thing after another- a song that two girls had practiced to sing especially for me, a homemade hair clip made by two of the girls (who made matching ones for themselves), homemade cookies that the staff made and decorated together especially for me, phone accessories and a handwritten note (written in English by a non-English speaker) from one of the staff, a pencil case from another girl, a prayer especially for me, and a meal of grilled fish and rice, made specifically for me because they know I love grilled fish. It was just incredible. We decorated cookies together, did a gift exchange, and broke open the pinata, using a rolling pin as a stick (the most resilient pinata ever created- I thought we may have to get out a saw, it was so strong), as well as shared that wonderful meal together. PPA was not in my original assignment description when I accepted the position in Indonesia, but am I ever thankful that it got added into my weekly activities. It wound up being one of my favourite things about my life here (besides my TK kiddies), and I learned an incredible amount from the staff and parents and kids there, and just had tons of fun with that group of people. We still have one more party tomorrow, for the other group of kids, and then that chapter of my Indonesia experience will come to an end as well. All that remains of my original weekly schedule is Ichthus FM! Not to worry though, these next three weeks are absolutely crammed full of plans and outings.

The pinata that wouldn't break! We still had lots of fun, and at least everyone got a turn this way!

The staff at PPA Sendangguwo. I have been SO LUCKY to get to spend time with this awesome group of people each week. Left to Right: Bu Lisa, Milka, Ary, (me), Mega, Pak Hardy.
Before I close this post, I wanted to mention a few things that need prayer. First and foremost is a situation within my community regarding a young boy (18 years old) who decided to leave home without warning, and attempt to figure life out on his own, without the help and support of those who have been trying to assist him up until now. I will keep the details vague in a place as public as a blog post, but ultimately, my host family, my church community, and the boy himself could really benefit from your thoughts and prayers surrounding his decision, and the questions and hurt feelings of those who are affected by this. If this is something you'd like more details about, I can send you an email with more information.

Secondly, I just wanted to tack on a prayer request for my foot! A three-year old injury that never properly healed flares up every once in awhile, but this flare-up has been quite persistent and has spread to other parts of my foot. It makes walking kind of painful, and after a visit to the doctor, it seems that not a lot can be done for it right now. It's not too terrible or anything, but there are a lot of activities coming up, and I really want to be able to participate in them wholeheartedly, before the year draws to a close. I'll add to this a prayer request for my host mom as well. She's been feeling under the weather for the last month, and is unsure what the cause is. Prayer for quick healing for her would be greatly appreciated.

And with that, I shall leave you to enjoy the rest of this day!
Thanks for reading!

Lots of love,
Ellery

No comments:

Post a Comment