Welcome to a documented experience of my year as an English Teacher and Community Worker in Java, Indonesia! For the next eleven months, I will be serving with Mennonite Central Committee's Serving and Learning Together program, learning the language, eating the foods, and fully immersing myself in the Indonesian culture.

Looking forward to sharing my experiences with you! Happy reading!

Friday, October 28, 2011

Just Another Week...

Hey Everyone!

I was reading the blog of my friend Jake (who is also on SALT this year, serving in Chad), and was inspired to write RIGHT NOW (at 10:38PM) about some of the goings-on in my life. He doesn't update his blog as often as me as his opportunities are fewer, but his writing is incredibly descriptive. I spent the last hour reading all his posts, loving the opportunity to consider the differences and similarities between our positions. If you get a chance, check it out: http://www.nothingfancypettigrew.blogspot.com/

Today it struck me how... normal the "abnormal" is becoming. I started off my day with a grilled peanut butter and nutella sandwich, which my host mom got up early to make me. The gestures of kindness on part of my host community are too plentiful to keep track of, and are far too often overlooked by my self-centred self, but I need to make note yet again of how incredibly blessed I am to be here.

I walked to school, as usual. The walk is about four minutes, but when I look at it objectively, it's a bit of an adventure! The road is insanely busy in the morning, as there are several schools nearby, all of which seem to start at 7AM. It seems that the typical "flow" of the traffic ("flow" having a very different meaning here than in Canada) gives way to complete chaos, as motorcycles, buses, and cars jostle for the best spots to drop off their kids. I have to cross this road every day, and I've learned that I have to be really attentive and strategic in where I stand to wait to cross, and in how I cross. The conclusion I've come to is that it is unwise to stand within 10 metres of either side of a school entrance, and it is even more unwise to try to cross in front of motor bikes. That means I often wait for a few minutes until a car finally comes along, lacking the same pickup speed as a motorbike, and thus providing me with the opportunity to cross the road halfway. The other half is usually a bit easier- people swerve to avoid me, or stop altogether. 

I arrive at school in time for morning prayers, which I've been asked to lead on several occasions. Praying out loud has never been something I'm comfortable with, and that is one way that I have been stretched. Today I made the effort to pray in Bahasa Indonesia, and this made the teachers extremely happy, and put me on their good side (a good thing too, because about an hour later, I accidentally closed the door on a teachers' finger, and she handled it with an extra dose of grace and forgiveness).

At 7:00, I went with Ibu Ratih to her TK-B class, which I do 3 times a week. Today was a huge breakthrough day in the teaching of "Away in A Manger", and I was overjoyed when I heard some kids singing it to themselves later, as they were colouring. They are SO cute when they sing it- so much gusto (which fades towards the end of the song, as they are less familiar with those lyrics), and even more enthusiasm with the actions. "The Little Lord Jesus" would break his neck if he were truly being rocked by those 5 year olds.

This morning was a special morning because we went to see a traveling dolphin show! Growing up near Marineland, I know very well how a stationary dolphin show operates. I was curious as to what the traveling version would look like. The lesson I have had to relearn the most often is to have lowered expectations... We arrived at the "lumba-lumba" (Dolphin) show location, and stood waiting for the doors to open. Do you ever have moments in life where you look around you and say to yourself, "Is this a dream? This is too surreal to be real life right now!" That was pretty much what the pre-dolphin show wait was like. Across the walkway was a tank with huge inflatable boats being driven in circles by a young girl wearing a head covering. The speakers were blaring a child-sung version of happy birthday in Bahasa Indonesia (and when I say blaring, I mean that the speakers were shaking... it could be heard for miles, but we stood about 5 feet from them). I was with all these people I don't know very well, waiting for a traveling dolphin show to begin, watching random children spinning about in inflatable boats, listening to "Selamat Ulang Tahun" in a little town in Indonesia. What are the odds of that kind of combination? Luckily, the doors opened eventually, and the great mystery of the traveling element of the show was revealed. (There was nothing special about it, except that the pool was smaller, and lined with plastic.) The show lasted for about an hour, and afterward, we got to pet the dolphin, which was a first for me! I actually got really excited about that!

We came home afterward, and I had a nice afternoon break before heading to teach at Compassion. They informed me yesterday that I would be teaching from now on- an hour and a half, to an age range of five to thirteen (though when I got there today, all the kids were between nine and thirteen, which was much more manageable). I had no idea where to start with teaching English- this is probably my biggest challenge right now (I always have a challenge or two going on here)- and I had no idea how to fill an hour and a half with activities that would interest such a broad range. Somehow I pulled it off though, and we enjoyed some rounds of "What Time is is, Mr. Wolf?" or "Mr. Wolf, What Time is it?" (somehow the translation got mixed up) and sang a bunch of songs, and before I knew it, the time was up! We all ate dinner together, and were about to go home, when a massive thunderstorm swept in, and kept us there for another 45 minutes. The power was lost too, so we lit candles. Something about this experience was really wonderful. There were girls who had been learning to make crafts, and one of them gave theirs to me when they were done (a little tree, all decorated). I was really touched by the gesture, and am now proudly displaying the tree on my bookshelf, as one of my few decorations.

That was just today! The last few days have all had their share of adventure. On Tuesday night, I led Share N Care again, and Pak Paul brought bread and Hani brough jus buah for me (that being a sweet juice with many fruits mixed in it).

I was taken out for dinner on Wednesday night, by an English teacher, her husband and daughter, and Debora, a former IVEPer. The English teacher has hosted SALTers before, and because of her and Debora, I got an evening to speak only English and be understood, and to really feel emotionally understood, as Debora could totally relate. I've been invited to the teacher's house for French toast and Spaghetti, and was also invited to go on a weekend trip with her family. The logistics make it an impossibility, but the gesture was another example of the kindness that I have experienced from the Indonesian people.

Thursdays are my busy day, with TK in the morning, Ichthus FM immediately following, and, Compassion following that. I had a pretty quiet evening after that, and got the chance to connect with a bunch of people from home that I haven't connected with in over two months. Ichthus FM went well! Relaxing Hour is quite relaxed indeed... no script, no topics to cover, just go with the flow. I've yet to create a radio voice for myself, though I think that it might be too late now. The guy who co-hosts it with me speaks the best English I've heard here, and is just a really nice guy. The two hours flew by!

Thanks for reading, despite the lack of pictures! I will try to get some up soon, maybe on Monday, as I will be going to the MCC office that day.

Have a great day!
Love,
Ellery

No comments:

Post a Comment