Welcome to a documented experience of my year as an English Teacher and Community Worker in Java, Indonesia! For the next eleven months, I will be serving with Mennonite Central Committee's Serving and Learning Together program, learning the language, eating the foods, and fully immersing myself in the Indonesian culture.

Looking forward to sharing my experiences with you! Happy reading!

Friday, January 6, 2012

All About Food!

Hello, my BEAUTIFUL Family and Friends whom I miss so very dearly at the moment,

Do you ever have one of those days where you feel like all of the progress you've made on something seems to disappear, and you find yourself feeling like you took two steps forward, only to find yourself falling three steps back? Today is that day for me. My positive mentality went out the window (this is why I said "special prizes for those of you who make it to February" with your New Year's resolutions- I lasted a solid six days with mine!), and I've found today to be a day of longing for my family and friends who know me best, and who are most familiar to me.

My family left five days ago, and the minute hand that seemed to be moving forward at warp speed has suddenly decided to take a nice, slow-paced break. I find myself struggling with the same challenges of living in a new culture that I thought I had conquered before Christmas. They are nothing big in and of themselves, but when compiled together, one really has to make up their mind that they are going to look at them positively, or else one can easily find themselves slipping into negative ways of thinking. I was SO lucky to have my family come and visit, but their absence is felt very keenly right now. I am looking forward to hopefully at least one more familiar visit from home, but the time between now and then is quite long, and it feels a bit daunting right at this moment. 

On two separate occasions, people have commented on the food-focus of my blog. I didn't notice it until it was pointed out to me. My dad, being one of those two people, now completely understands the reason for that food focus, and I think that it would require being here (or anywhere besides home) for an extended period of time, in order to really understand this. Nonetheless, it has given me something to think about, and I will do my best to explain to you where that food-focus comes from...

Food represents more than just nourishment, and is, in my opinion, the pinnacle of cultural differences. For one, the food itself is different. Last night on our table, I found cow brain in a type of coconut sauce, and cow spleen in another kind of sauce (and yes, I tried 'em both!). Other new foods include goat stomach and lungs, cobra blood, and dog meat (those last two I have yet to try). Every culture in the world has their own foods, and every family within those cultures has their own way of preparing and providing it. In my situation, my host mom goes out early- around 6:30- every morning, to a warung (food stall) that sells a variety of different foods. She chooses small amounts of anywhere between 6 and 10 of these foods, and brings them home. Those foods go out on the table, and remain on the table for the rest of the day. (This is common of many homes in Java). At each meal, white rice is heated up and served alongside these dishes. The dishes are usually ethnic Chinese, and consist of a lot of pork (surprising, I know, for a Muslim culture), chicken, and some beef, as well as lots of sea food and tofu, and many of them are in some type of sauce. People here generally prefer to eat food at room temperature, and do not heat it up. Foods are often quite sweet- this is typical of this region, and not of all of Indonesia. A lot of food is also fried, which is why it is not harmful to have it sit out all day. Of course, every culture on earth varies dramatically in their use of ingredients, creating a world that is absolutely filled with a vast variety of flavours, some delicious, some not-so-much (as any "normal" person who has ever tried durian fruit would attest to).

Beyond the food itself, there is a culture surrounding food etiquette. In Indonesia, it is polite to decline food offers the first few times, and accept after the third time. In North America, you are offered food once, and your response is taken at its word. Here, it is also considered an honour for guests to be taken into a different room, where they eat alone. It is not uncommon for a guest to be served first, and for that guest to eat their meal entirely, before other people start eating as well. Sometimes you are left alone in those circumstances, and other times, you are watched and served. Meal times are a time to eat- not so much a time for visiting- and silence is not uncommon around the table. As a result, meal times are often over very quickly, and everyone resumes their activities. Going over to friends' houses for a meal is extremely rare- people would sooner go out to a restaurant. Eating at restaurants takes on a different appearance here too- since food doesn't need to be hot, there is no rush for all of the food to come out at once. I have sat with food in front of me, or with food in front of other guests, for as long as half an hour, before actually beginning to eat.

Now, I come from a Russian-Mennonite family in a small town in Canada. In my culture, we cook most of the food we eat, ourselves. We make enough for one meal, and any leftovers are immediately put in the fridge. Food is eaten either hot, or cold- I think I can count on one hand the number of foods we eat at room temperature. Having worked in a restaurant for four years, I have seen the absolute rage that can consume a person when their meal is not piping hot, or when food does not arrive at the same time. Meals in my culture usually include a meat, a starch (most often potatoes), and a vegetable, as well as a side of bread or salad.

Meal times are also a time- often the only time- to catch up with the family about life, and we often sit until well after we are done eating, just talking. At least once a week, we go to friends' homes for a meal, and make a whole afternoon or evening of it. Restaurants are the rarer choice, often reserved for more special occasions. If I am offered food once and I decline, the matter is closed. I know that if I change my mind, I could help myself to more, but it will not be offered again. What I eat is my business, and there are usually no comments made regarding what I put upon my plate, or how much of it I eat.


I think that, when I am home, I take my food culture for granted. It is not a topic worthy of discussion because it simply is what it is- familiar, and nondescript. It has, generally speaking, stayed the same for my whole life, and it will likely continue in the same patterns that it always has. It is only in being here in this new food culture, that I am acutely aware of the differences in my food life, at least three times a day. Sometimes the new food-culture scenarios are really exciting; other times, there is nothing that I want more than a pizza (without corn, unlike the devastating little mix-up in Laura's Pizza Hut order last week) or, better yet, mom's homemade chicken divan.

In reading this over, I realize that the differences may not sound so huge. However, more than anything else, my bouts of homesickness stem from the food culture. My host family bends over backwards to provide me with as many comforts from home as possible (such as bread at breakfast, rather than rice, and the option to heat my food rather than eat it at room temperature). They ask many questions regarding what I eat and why I eat it, in an attempt to gain an understanding about my food preferences (which, of course, seem completely strange to them too). I am so grateful for that. I think though, that this is why my blog so often focuses on food. Going out for a Western meal is a treat that is too exciting not to blog about. When I'm not blogging about that, I'm blogging about the new food-related experiences that I have had, which, I think, provide some of the best insight into the culture I am living in. It is likely that my blog will continue to have a heavy food focus, since food just is a focus of my life here! I hope that this does not come as a disappointment to those of you who have been anticipating stories of roaming with orangutans (my dream, which will have to be fulfilled in 2021, when the Mennonite World Conference is held here), narrowly escaping komodo dragons (the other thing I will have to wait to see in 2021), or more mountain climbing escapades (which will likely NOT happen ever again).

These last five days have gone by quite uneventfully. I spent Monday and Tuesday with Nicole, in Salatiga. We had a really relaxing time, and it put another buffer night in between when my parents left and when I had to be alone in my room again. The transition was not as horrendously awful as I was anticipating, and I needed a full two days to get my room cleaned and my laundry done, which kept my mind off of things.

I started at the TK again today, and it was so nice to see all my little kindergarten kids again. I was afraid that they might have forgotten me, and that their original fear of "The Bule" (white person) would return, but judging from the hugs and squeals of excitement, I have not been forgotten in the slightest! My schedule will slowly return back to "normal" in the next two weeks, and I am eager to resume the routine that I was only just becoming familiar with before Christmas.

I am working at putting together a more concrete (and interesting) teaching "curriculum" for the TK, creating learning goals and steps to achieve them, but I must admit that I am still completely lost in the teaching world. I've been told that many SALTers don't really get their act together until just before they are about to go home, and I think that I will fall right into that category.

It is also strange to think that in the coming weeks, we begin receiving information about coming home again. The beginning of February marks the halfway point, and I've been informed that time just flies from that time on (perhaps by then, that minute hand will have had the rejuvenating break that it seems to be needing...) I am also working- hopefully proactively enough- at creating my Fall Term schedule back at UW, so that I can meet all of my criteria and graduate next year, in April.

This time of year is a busy one for MCC as they put together next year's team of one-year service workers embarking on SALT, IVEP, or YAMEN, and I'm sure that both the future team members and MCC would appreciate prayers around this time, for those three programs.

Thanks for your support, your love, and your encouragement!
I love and miss you all, and I am grateful every day for you!

Have a great weekend!
Lots of Love,
Ellery

2 comments:

  1. YES! I am so glad that you touched on this. I've been thinking about writing a post about food, as well. No matter how many meals I eat here, I still can't get used to having food forced on me (which happens every single day even after polite and then not-so-polite refusals of another helping) or the strange (to me) food that we sometimes eat. I find that the times I am most craving North American food are also the times I tend to be most homesick, and after reading your post, I'm sure they're related.

    Super interesting to hear some of the details about Indonesian food customs too (eating room temp food? SO different!). Thanks so much for sharing all these interesting tidbits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually I read your blog and laugh and how I live less than 3 hours from you and lead such a different life, but this time, I agree sooo much. FOOOOD! And it requires constant mention, because it is constantly mentioned here. I will be writing my own post on food as soon as the internet co operates. Which could take a few weeks. And speaking of wanting a pizza, I have seriously considered trying to cook one using ingredients found at the alphamart and frying it since I don't have an oven. Instead I went to the alphamart and went on a shopping spree. This combined with the fact that I now know (in theory) how to cook mie instan is going to be very entertaining if nothing else. Well, at least I'll be eating something, that should make everyone happy right? I should note that I actually found cereal in the village (well, nearby town), I bought all 3 brands to test them out. Hope you are having a good first week at school!

    ReplyDelete