Welcome to a documented experience of my year as an English Teacher and Community Worker in Java, Indonesia! For the next eleven months, I will be serving with Mennonite Central Committee's Serving and Learning Together program, learning the language, eating the foods, and fully immersing myself in the Indonesian culture.

Looking forward to sharing my experiences with you! Happy reading!

Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Barriers Have Broken

Mennonites CAN dance!! (Note: not all pictured here are Mennonite)
I danced. For those of you who know me well, you will know that almost nothing in the world will make me dance. BUT I figured that this is a new place, full of new people, who do not know me well enough to realize this sad but true fact (and they also don't really have enough time to judge me!). I can honestly say that it was FUN! The dance party followed a pinata and cake that was put on by SALTers to celebrate another SALTer's birthday. It was a night that really broke down the guards that people have held these last few days, and shed a light on the quality of the people who I feel privileged to be serving with. This is a group of passionate, selfless people, with SO much enthusiasm and excitement for the year that lies ahead!

Today was a day of relaxation and fun, with lots of talking, Dutch Blitzing, playing Frisbee, and just experiencing life with each other.

Tomorrow I anticipate another day filled with more sessions (well... that's a certainty!), more fun, more frisbee, and photos for prayer cards!!

Have a good one!


1 comment:

  1. YAY YOU DANCED!! :D
    i'm so excited!!! changes are happening in ellery penner people!!!!
    so glad you're enjoying it!! :)

    ReplyDelete