Welcome to a documented experience of my year as an English Teacher and Community Worker in Java, Indonesia! For the next eleven months, I will be serving with Mennonite Central Committee's Serving and Learning Together program, learning the language, eating the foods, and fully immersing myself in the Indonesian culture.

Looking forward to sharing my experiences with you! Happy reading!

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Brief Introductions

Less than a week today, I will be arriving in Akron, Pennsylvania for a one-week orientation that precedes the eleven and a half months that I will be spending in Indonesia. I haven't even left yet, and already I've learned so much! I've learned first and foremost, that I need to be patient. It's an ongoing struggle to simply be still and wait upon the Lord, and His plans for me this upcoming year. I've been told that the pace of life in Indonesia is much slower than the pace of life in Canada, and God has been working in small but obvious ways to help me to learn patience. In the same way, He's been teaching me flexibility. I named my blog "Good Morning, Java!" because my position in Indonesia was to include spending time as a radio show host (the blog title being a spin off of "Good Morning, Vietnam"). I've since learned that I've been moved to a location further from the radio station, so my radio show host position has thus been removed from my list of duties (sorry to disappoint those who were excited particularly about this part of my position!). I was pretty bummed, but I know there's a reason for it, and I know that there will be so many curve balls thrown my way this year. If I can learn to roll with the changes that are bound to come up, this year will surely be easier, more fun, and possibly even more exciting than I already anticipate it will be! And I'm keeping the name of the blog to remind me of that :)

I still don't know exactly what my living situation in Java will look like, let alone what my internet and computer access will be, so I don't know how often I'll be able to update my blog. I do hope to be able to share often, what is going on in my life and in the lives of those I will get to know and love in Indonesia. Thanks for bearing with me as posts may be sporadic! Looking forward to sharing this upcoming year of new challenges and adventures with you!


1 comment:

  1. Cool stuff, Ellery! I hope you have a great year and learn lots. Great blog title too!

    ReplyDelete