Welcome to a documented experience of my year as an English Teacher and Community Worker in Java, Indonesia! For the next eleven months, I will be serving with Mennonite Central Committee's Serving and Learning Together program, learning the language, eating the foods, and fully immersing myself in the Indonesian culture.

Looking forward to sharing my experiences with you! Happy reading!

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Last Day... (except not really)

Well, orientation is officially over. Every document has been handed in, every ticket handed out, every photo taken, and every lesson taught (or as much as they can pack into a week). It's now time for 55 of us to head off to 28 different countries all over the globe, to do what we feel called to do, give what we can, and allow ourselves to be taught by the people we are going to meet. 

I'm anticipating tomorrow with a mix of excitement, apprehension, and pure dread! I've heard- and told myself- over and over that "it will be great, you'll have so much fun, you're living your dream..." All of that will be true at times, but what has resonated most with me is the words of my mother (it's always the words of a mother, right?): "This is a choice you're making. The alternative is to not go, and you'll regret that for the rest of your life." Now THAT is always true, and I've had to think of that several times over the past week in my moments of panic about the year ahead (but don't worry mom, I AM excited!). I've been told over and over this week that we're going to hit all-time lows (the part I am most nervous for), that it's going to be really hard, and that it's going to be completely worth it. I know that that's true too. 

Today we took care of some final details, attended a commissioning service at Akron Mennonite Church, and watched a two and a half hour talent show that felt like 45 minutes. I was blown away by the diverse talent among the SALTers and IVEPers, and the willingness of so many to share their gifts. It was a great way to end the week.

I'm not sure when my next opportunity will be to post (figures, just when things will really get interesting!) but I am excited that the next time I blog, it will be from Java! 

Thanks for reading!!

1 comment:

  1. elle! i hope you showcased your amazing talent in that show!!! i so badly want to know what you did! :) i'm sure it was amazing, like always! :)
    good luck ducky! love you lots!!!

    ReplyDelete