Welcome to a documented experience of my year as an English Teacher and Community Worker in Java, Indonesia! For the next eleven months, I will be serving with Mennonite Central Committee's Serving and Learning Together program, learning the language, eating the foods, and fully immersing myself in the Indonesian culture.

Looking forward to sharing my experiences with you! Happy reading!

Friday, August 12, 2011

Lowered Expectations!!

Today was a day jam packed with sessions and information, about everything from continent-specific education, to info on how to educate, to the three factors that make for the best cross-cultural experience. I found those three bits of information really interesting:
1) A sense of humour (predictable)
2) The ability to fail repeatedly
3) Lowered expectations (this one's for you, Andrew Alkema! It's proven to ENHANCE experiences!!)

I also found out that MCC strongly encourages family and friends to visit us on assignment, so there's the confirmation that some of you may have been looking for! (And also may sway some of you who were planning on surprising me with a visit? Is anyone sensing the hint?? ;) )

I also made my first cultural blunder, which I swore I could get through the year without doing- nothing like messing up the country where your roommate's from on day one to humble you! As my mom made sure to point out to me in an email (haha, thanks Mom!), my roommate is from Cambodia, not Laos. I'm realizing why the top 3 factors that make for the best experience include the ability to fail repeatedly!!

Tonight, during our session on education, we learned about the reasons why our host countries have chosen us to serve in their schools. Contrary to what many (including myself) may have thought, a common reason is that a foreigner teaching in a school makes a school more attractive. That's it. A school may be dwindling in enrollment or may have a bad reputation, and those running the school may be seeking a reasonable means to make the school look more appealing. That's not to say that that's the motivation for all schools, but is to say that learning that tonight has made me realize that going in with a "going to change the world through teaching English" mentality may have to be a bit revamped in order to actually make a difference. So that's my project right now! Thinking of ways to be of impact that may be a bit more unconventional. I'll update you as I learn more!

Hope everyone's well! Talk to you soon!




1 comment:

  1. i love you so much - you're already learning so much and it's been 48 hours!! sounds like you'll be well prepared! thinking of you lots! :)

    ReplyDelete