Welcome to a documented experience of my year as an English Teacher and Community Worker in Java, Indonesia! For the next eleven months, I will be serving with Mennonite Central Committee's Serving and Learning Together program, learning the language, eating the foods, and fully immersing myself in the Indonesian culture.

Looking forward to sharing my experiences with you! Happy reading!

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Knowledge and noodles and burgers, oh my!

Hey there everyone!

As this orientation week draws to a close, I've been reflecting on how much I have learned. I must admit, I came to orientation week thinking quite highly of myself and the knowledge that I thought I was bringing to this experience. I thought man, I have three years of Peace and Conflict Studies under my belt. What could they possibly tell me that I don't know? Turns out, a lot. In fact, throughout this week, the perspectives that have been thrown at me have turned my views on many scenarios completely on their head, and have proven to me the extraordinary challenge of truly Serving and Learning Together.

I have learned that my teaching position is not why I am there. They don't need me. The people of Indonesia- of any country, really- are more capable than I am to teach their children. They know the school system, the rules, the requirements... I don't even know the language. All images of me standing in front of the class I am in, teaching them in the only way I know how- the only way I've observed through my years of Canadian education- have been shattered. I will destroy any chance at bridging communities, at closing cultural divides, of understanding the people, and of gaining their respect, if I come into the classroom and swap their methods for my own. Making this year worthwhile depends upon my ability to destroy any mentality I carry that I know best, that my ideas are better, that they are wrong and I am right. Being respected and accepted rests in my willingness to learn from the people of Indonesia. That means sharing with them, admitting my mistakes and shortcomings, asking many questions, and following their lead. It means simply being present in the culture that I am about to find myself in. I ask for your prayers as I struggle to learn what this will look like, and to understand how God wants to use me this year in ways beyond my job description.

On a lighter note, the last two evenings have been ridiculous amounts of fun! As I mentioned earlier, I've been living in the Asia House this week, and all of the IVEPers (International Volunteer Exchange Program participants) from Asia are living here also. MCC provides snacks for the houses, one of these snacks being ramen noodles. None of the other houses (Africa, Middle East/Europe, or Americas) have been eating theirs, but in our Asia house, we've had to ask twice for replacements. They are eaten around the clock! Last night, we decided that a noodle party would be an appropriate celebration. Noodles from China, Laos, Korea, and the USA were brought out, with people even dipping into the reserves that they brought from home. As more and more people came over, more and more noodles were made. The whole thing devolved into a dance party that went until midnight (I did not dance this time), and it was another really unique and incredible opportunity to do something crazy with people from all over the world!

Enjoying noodles from Korea, Asian-style (all forks in one pot!)

This afternoon I played frisbee with 6 other people, from Zambia, Brazil, Cambodia, Russia, Germany, and Canada. How often does that happen!? Tonight, someone in the Middle East/Europe House found burgers and decided to make a fire in the fire pit, and grill them. 30-40 of us got together for burgers and other snacks. I can still hear the German rap from where I'm sitting in the living room!

Grilling the burgers!
They were surprisingly delicious!

And finally, for those interested in seeing some pictures of where I've spent my week, here they are!

Bedroom!

The Houses, and the Frisbee Green

Asia House
Thanks for enduring the loooong post!
Have a great night!





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Ellery,
    It's great that you are now learning to be present. It is sometimes a hard thing to practice, but I encourage you in this I know you will work hard at this coming year and learn soooo much.
    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for posting pictures! it's so awesome to get a glimpse into what you've been up to!! hope you get a good sleep tonight for your long journey ahead! how exciting!!! love you lots! also, check your email when you have a sec! :) xox

    ReplyDelete